We use the offline conversions tracking feature of Bing since, as an affiliate marketer, you don't have the option to place the Bing conversion tag (UET) on the offer "thank you page".
The benefit of sending conversions to Bing (in addition to tracking them in TrackingDesk) is to enable CPA optimization within Bing and improve your campaign performances.
There are several building blocks to setup this workflow. Some of them are independant of TrackingDesk and you will need to follow the provider's instructions in order to sucessfully connect all the blocks.
Prerequesites to setup this workflow:
- You need a Zapier account to send conversions from Trackingdesk to a Google Spreadsheet (Follow the instructions to connect your TrackingDesk account with Zapier)
- You need to copy the following Spreadsheet to your Google Account
- You need to setup Bing Traffic Source in TrackingDesk according to the predefined traffic source settings, and setup your campaign in Bing accordingly (Read instructions on how to run an affiliate campaign in Bing).
- You need to configure your goals in Bing according to their instructions (Read Bing instructions here)
Once your campaign is running and if you've configured both TrackingDesk and Bing according to the instructions, you will see in your TrackingDesk analytics the Microsoft Click ID under the Click ID Grouping option.
The Microsoft Click ID is the Key that allows Bing to attribute the conversions to your campaigns, therefore, before going further in the integration setup, please verify that the Microsoft Click ID is properly recorded by TrackingDesk.
Let's create a new Zap!
Step #1: Trigger - TrackingDesk
- Select TrackingDesk
- New Event
- Event Type: Conversion
- Select the Traffic Source (Bing)
- Continue the setup to pull conversion sample from TrackingDesk to Bing
This will bring a real conversion event from TD to Zapier, which will allow you to map the data required for the following steps.
- Once the conversion sample is pulled, click Continue to setup the action steps
Step #2: Select Zapier text formatter
This step is required to reformat the conversion time stamp to follow the Bing requirements.
- Select Truncate
- The Input is the conversion time stamp
- Max lenght set it to 19
- Click Continue to complete this step.
Step #3 Action Create a spreadsheet row
- Select Google Sheet
- Select "create a spreadsheet row"
- Select the Spreadsheet and the Worksheet
The window will refresh and the worksheet columns will show up.
- Map each column with its corresponding value
- Select the Conversion Time from the Text Formatter Step and set the appropriate gmt offset. More explanations about the conversion time settings are available on the bing knowledge base here
Enter your GMT offset by indicating + or -, followed by the 4-digit time difference (for example, New York’s offset Is -0500). If you use Greenwich Mean Time (GMT), enter +0000.
- Select the conversion goal from the trigger step (cpl, cpa, cps, cpc, cpi)
- Select the conversion value (the monetary value of the conversion)
- Type in the Conversion Currency (3 letters currency code - ex: USD, EUR, GBP)
Hit Continue to send a test conversion to the Spreadsheet
Finish the Zap, name it and turn it on.
Important: After creating a goal in Bing, you need to wait a few hours before uploading conversions.
Step #5 Uploading Conversions to Bing
- Navigate to the Offline Conversions section
- Select your CSV file - and upload it.
- Import and Apply
If there were errors during the upload, Bing will hightlight them so you can fix them.
Special recommendations - In order to prevent uploading duplicate conversions, we hightly recommend the following:
- Keep one single google sheet to store all your conversions
- Create a separate CSV file for each upload
Needless to say that if you don't follow the guidelines in both TrackingDesk, Bing and Zapier, the conversions will not be imported.